What is included in the cost to translate a word? At least 10 activities!
Quoting for a job is fairly unique in the translation industry compared to other industries in that:
– Translation is based on ‘an actual cost per word’ and in some languages the cost can be based on per character, per line etc.
– There is a lower cost per word where translation CAT tools are used.
– Cost is associated with time hence business, website, technical and scientific translations take longer and therefore at a higher cost per word compared to general translation.
A quotation will give the fixed cost however the variable factor as to ‘what is included in the cost to translate a word’ can include at least 10 activities as listed below:
- Assessment & Analysis
- Translation Memory Software
- Format files
- Project Plan and team selection
- Communication, Selection and Administration
- Translation by native professional translator(s)
- Proofread by native professional proofreader(s)
- Checking in-house to the source material (list of activities)
- Re-checking in-house (list of activities)
- Sign-off, send to client before deadline